4. Training Tools for Best Management Practices for Farm Biosecurity for Pig Production
+ 4.3.1 Transport Route
22.214.171.124 Use interlining (truck to truck transfer offsite) where there are multiple drops.
126.96.36.199 Transporters delivering pigs to farms should maintain a Pig Transport Log of route and stops.
+ 4.3.2 Vehicle Sanitation
188.8.131.52 Proper protocol for vehicle sanitation must be taught to drivers.
- Guide on how to properly sanitize a vehicle
- Example truck wash procedure from the Ontario Agri-Business Association
- Example of truck sanitation protocol
- Example of truck cleaning and disinfection protocol
184.108.40.206 The effectiveness of sanitation must be measured to understand the risk posed by a vehicle on farm biosecurity. Similarly a record of verification and results can be entered in the log.
- Guide to testing the effectiveness of cleaning and disinfecting vehicles
- Example of a truck wash audit procedure
220.127.116.11 Risks and biosecurity procedures for trucks and personal at the abattoir must be understood by all personnel delivering hogs.
18.104.22.168 Hog slaughter house personnel must develop biosecurity protocols for visitors and truckers in their yard. The Factsheet and pamphlet developed in Quebec can be useful tools to address this.
+ 4.3.3 Vehicle entry into CAZ
22.214.171.124 Use an entry log for vehicles not associated directly with the farm except where a secondary record, such as a feed slip or farm truck log, can be maintained.
126.96.36.199 Consider sanitation equipment (disinfectant and hose) at the access point. Automatic sprayers for vehicle disinfection are now used in some farms, particularly poultry. They are only effective if organic material is first removed and spray coverage is adequate.
+ 4.3.4 Load dock procedures
- Guide to creating an ideal loading dock and loading dock protocol
- Example of the entry of animals to a farm including the manager, trucker and barn staff protocols
- A video describing biosecurity principles and practices surrounding the loading of pigs
- Example of a load out procedure